Named one of Four Women Leading the Liquor Industry, and “Local Hero in Mixology 2017,” Natalie Bovis delves into every aspect of the liquid arts. A true Ambassador of Cocktail Culture, she is a spirits expert, beverage consultant, mixology educator, cocktail book author, event producer.
She also founded OM Liqueurs with Entrepreneur Jason Monkarsh, resulting in multiple silver and gold medals in spirits competitions, Nightclub & Bar’s “Entrepreneurs of the Year” and the National Restaurant Association’s “FABI” Innovation award.
Some of Natalie’s career highlights are listed below and, in this video, she explains The Liquid Muse in her own words…
Event Creator /Producer:
- Annual New Mexico Cocktails & Culture Festival, founded 2015 (Returns to Santa Fe June 1-3, 2018)
- New Mexico Cocktail Week
- Taco Wars (Returns June 1, 2018)
- Chef & Shaker Challenge: founded 2016 (Returns June 2, 2018)
- Brand Immersion Bartender Retreats
- OM Spirits, co-creator and CMO of award-winning OM Organic Mixology Liqueur
Cocktail Books by Natalie Bovis:
- Edible Cocktails: Garden To Glass Seasonal Cocktails (2012)
- The Bubbly Bride: Your Ultimate Wedding Cocktail Guide (2009)
- Preggatinis™: Mixology for the Mom-to-Be (2008)
Dozens of how-to segments on morning shows around the United States as Spokesperson for FRE Wine and promoting cocktail books
Current Video Series (Host, Producer):
- Mixology Minute with The Liquid Muse
- Digging In: A Recipe For Sustainability
- Tales of the Cocktail Spirited Awards winners video 2009-2016
Liquor Industry Affiliations:
- USBG Peer To Peer Educational Content Committee, 2016
- USBG New Mexico chapter, Vice President, 2014 – 2018
- USBG National Charity Foundation Board, 2013 – 2015
- USBG (United States Bartender Guild), Los Angeles chapter founding member 2009 – 2014
- LUPEC founder Los Angeles chapter, 2009
- Sporting Life, Los Angeles, founding member, 2008 – 2013
- WEBI (Women Executives in the Beverage Industry) Board Member, since 2012
- USBG Pulse National Website, Contributor, 2012 – 2013
- B.A.R. (Beverage Alcohol Resource) 5-day program, 2008
Brand Ambassador Positions:
- 2013 – 2014: Western USA Brand Ambassador / Brand Manager: G’Vine gin, Excellia tequila, June liqueur (EuroWineGate / Domaine Select)
- 2012 – 2013: Taos Lightning whiskeys, Hacienda gin, Vodka viracocha, Brimstone absinthe (KGB Spirits)
- 2008 – 2010: Pinky vodka
- 2008 – 2012: National Spokesperson, Fre Alcohol-Removed wine (Trinchero Wine Estates)
Upon receiving a degree in French Literature and Theater from UNM, Natalie Bovis moved to Los Angeles and supported her creative pursuits by working in the hospitality field. Over the following years, she entered the Public Relations and Marketing sectors, first in the film industry in Los Angeles and later as a Restaurant Publicist in Washington DC. Everything came full circle when she launched The Liquid Muse in 2006, delving into cocktail culture, full time.
The Liquid Muse continues making inroads in the liquor industry after a decade of service. Ms. Bovis is a leader in creating online and print content about products, people and events around the world; teaching consumers; training bar staff and distributor sales teams; reaching a larger audience through TV and radio appearances; and organizing a myriad of promotional events. These achievements demonstrate expert organizational skills, international relationships, and unparalleled experience in a multi-pronged approach to fostering the growth of cocktail culture.
The Liquid Muse Consulting guides food and beverage brands looking to re-launch existing products or create new ones. Natalie co-developed OM Organic Mixology Liqueurs, a line of certified organic liqueurs that is now found at high-end bars and retailers in 7 states – and expanding! Find OM Liqueurs on cocktail menus at Nobu in New York, the Four Seasons in Las Vegas, Rosewood Inn of the Anasazi in Santa Fe, or the Ritz Carlton in Miami, to name a few.
Natalie served as the Spokesperson for Fre Alcohol-Removed Wines for over three years, presenting Trinchero Wine Estates products on dozens of TV shows throughout the United States. Later, she joined Domaine Select Wine Estates as the Western USA Brand Manager / Ambassador for the boutique French products G’Vine gin and June liqueur, and Excellia tequila, working as a liaison between supplier and distributors in 6 states. As an owner of OM Liqueurs, she develops new business opportunities while supporting sales through promotional and educational events.
The Liquid Muse cocktails are regularly featured at high-profile events ranging from Playboy Mansion parties in L.A. to President Obama’s 2013 Green Inaugural Ball in Washington DC. Natalie also caters her signature nonalcoholic Preggatinis™ at celebrity baby showers, and develops cocktail recipes for big-brand liquor companies, craft distillers, nonalcoholic beverage brands and food companies to use in their promotional campaigns.
Natalie has parlayed her performance background into mixology segments on national TV and radio shows, and for eight years produced / hosted online video series such as “Tales From the Red Carpet” winners video at the Spirited Awards at Tales of the Cocktail, “Inspired Sips with The Liquid Muse,” on SmallScreenNetwork, a how-to series for Lipton Tea called “Lipton Inspiration,” “Edible Cocktails: Kitchen Meets Bar” based on her book Edible Cocktails: Garden To Glass, marrying cooking and cocktails, a weekly podcast “One for the Road” was produced by Tom Leykis for 2 years on iTunes and New Normal Network. Her latest video series “Digging In” in partnership with Edible Magazine focuses on farmers, chefs and sustainable cuisine in New Mexico.
Natalie judges cocktail competitions worldwide (list below), and co-created an industry wellness series called Mind, Body, Spirits for Tales of the Cocktail, Arizona Cocktail Week and New Mexico Cocktails & Culture. Other seminar topics have included: Nonalcoholic Cocktail Seminar for Tales in (2008), US Cocktail Trends and Homemade Ingredients for the Bols Academy staff in Amsterdam (2010), Social Media For Liquor Brands at WSWA (2013) and the Nightclub & Bar Show in Las Vegas (2007), Garden To Glass at Arizona Cocktail Week (2011), Write Your Bartending Book at Portland Cocktail Week (2012), was a panelist for Steve Olsen’s gin seminar at Apres Ski Cocktail Classic (2014), and several USBG events. Now settled back in her hometown of Santa Fe, Ms. Bovis created and oversees New Mexico Cocktails & Culture to foster cocktail culture in this emerging market. In her precious little spare time, she still indulges in creative writing, animal volunteerism and is on the Fundraising Event Committee for Cooking With Kids.
Natalie has been a Judge / Jury Member for the following competitions:
- 2017 WSWA Spirits Judge, Orlando
- 2017 Last Slinger Standing Competition at Arizona Cocktail Week, USBG NM Team Coach
- 2016 New MIXico Cocktail Competition, Albuquerque
- 2016Last Slinger Standing Competition at Arizona Cocktail Week, USBG NM Team Coach
- 2015 Tales of the Cocktail, Spirited Awards, Global Judge Coordinator
- 2014 Apres Ski Cocktail Classic, cocktail competition, Aspen
- 2013 New Mexico Restaurant Association Awards, cocktail competition, Albuquerque
- 2013 Campari cocktail competition, Los Angeles
- 2013 USBG Don Julio cocktail competition, Phoenix
- 2012 Don Q Cocktail Competition, Santa Fe
- 2012 Call For Cocktails – WSWA Tradeshow, Las Vegas
- 2010 Tales of the Cocktail, Spirited Awards (national & international categories), New Orleans
- 2010 Pinky Vodka, national cocktail competition, Los Angeles
- 2009 Tales of the Cocktail, Spirited Awards Judge, New Orleans
- 2009 “Vittails,” national Dutch nonalcoholic cocktail competition, Amsterdam, Holland
- 2009 Cocktails For a Cure national competition, Las Vegas
- 2009 Pinky Vodka, national cocktail competition, Los Angeles
- 2009 Damrak Gin, national cocktail competition, Los Angeles
- 2009 Los Angeles Wine & Spirits Competition
- 2009 Rain Organic Vodka, national cocktail competition, online
- 2009 Sutter Home Wine, cocktail competition, online
- 2007 Finlandia Vodka, international cocktail competition, Ice Hotel, Finland
- 2006 Finlandia Vodka, regional cocktail competition, Phoenix